The 34 English Hubs were selected for their expertise in teaching reading and to support schools in their surrounding area. English Hubs promote a love of reading and help schools to provide excellent teaching in phonics and early language. They focus on supporting the slowest progress children in Reception and Year 1 and ensure every child is successful, regardless of background, needs or abilities.
Who is the programme open to?
The programme is open to all schools, academies and free schools with pupils in:
- Reception – early years foundation stage (EYFS)
- Year 1 – first year of key stage 1 (KS1)
We prioritise support for schools:
- With a phonics screening check result below the published national average
- Who have a higher than average proportion of pupils reading below age-related expectations
- With high levels of disadvantage
- Referred by national leaders of education